Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sneaking

This morning while getting ready for work/school, Addie and Ben got into a tiff. The whole event was over the fact that Addie apparently kicked Ben near the groin, because she's sure he wrote "B" on one of her pieces of artwork. After the obvious, "don't anyone, anywhere, but especially not a boy near his penis" comment, to which she replied, "I didn't know it was near his penis." (insert eyeroll here), I asked Benjamin if he had written on her artwork. He immediately denied it. She was adamant that it was hit handwriting, so I asked him again. Again, he says he didn't do it. So then I tell them that I don't like it when someone lies and that I'm going to give whoever did it another chance to tell the truth without getting into trouble. Then I basically hear crickets. I'm looking at Ben's face and he genuinely looks like he has no clue if he did it or not. Addie, on the other hand, is pointing fingers are fiercely as possible at her brother. So no one steps up and admits it. I tell them since no one has said anything, I'm going to have to go to my video camera and watch who did it. I explained that I'll also be able to see every other sneaky thing they've done that I don't know about, like sneaking candy without asking permission, etc. I again ask if they want to admit to it first and Benjamin said he doesn't remember doing it. I ask Addie when it happened and she says "the other night." Ben chimes in with, "it wasn't the other night. It was the other day." So you see my confusion. Who could've possibly done it? :) I tell them that I'm going to have to go check my camera at which point they both start confessing everything to me! Like seriously, everything. Ben says, "I ate some of the candy yesterday out of the drawer and didn't ask Muddy first." Addie goes into the dining room and points saying, "One time I ate some chocolate mints from Olive Garden that I put under here." It was hysterical. They ratted themselves out so much!
I'm going to have to use "my camera" again when I need the real details!
Ultimately, we decided that Ben probably had written on Addie's artwork a while ago and doesn't remember doing it. It doesn't mean it is ok to hit her brother, no matter what. Ben apologized for making her upset and all was right with the world. And I learned all about how my children willingly sneak things from me! It was a tough conversation to keep a straight face through!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha HA! This reminds me of Goonies, when Chunk is interrogated by the Fratellis: "one time..." and he divulges everything bad he's ever done. That camera is _awesome_.

Anonymous said...

that previous post was by Onkteb, btw

Unknown said...

Ahhhhh, it begins! Remember when the "no TV after school" rule was instituted and you all got ratted out over which show was on when somebody did something they weren't supposed to do?

Mom/Muddy

Anonymous said...

I have no memory of the events Muddy is describing. As if we would ever have broken the rules as children. Pfff.
love,
Onkteb