Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Addie and King Martin Luther follow-up

So I've gotten a few comments about Addie wanting to be black, etc. I thought I should respond on here, so you all know the part of the conversation that I didn't blog about last night.
During the conversation about discrimination and inequality, I also reminded her of the fact that women didn't use to have the same rights as men. We had discussed this back during the election, so I brought up some of the equal rights discussions from then too. We discussed further how it doesn't make sense for any group of people to singled out as better/worse than any other.
She understood and wasn't totally disgusted by whites, just some whites. We talked about how there were some white people who supported Dr King Martin Luther and tried to help too.
I ended it with saying something happy and inspirational like, "We don't have to worry about that today. Today we have equal rights and all people are equal." I didn't want to completely squelch her belief bubble of what a fair and just world we live in. She'll have plenty of experience with that as she gets older. For now, she's a young girl who believes inequality is not right, and I'm a-ok with that.

4 comments:

Aunt Wendy said...

Hey Gaul I am alright with that too! I think you are doing a great job of explaining a difficult topic. Love you, Aunt Wendy

Onkteb said...

Cool on you for connecting the racism and sexism issues. When she gets older and sees that these are still live problems, you going to encourage her to confront them aggressively? I wrestle with that with my students when we talk about bias and bigotry, because on the one hand I want them to fight for the good, but on the other I remember how difficult it can be (and has been, in particular instances - I know there are times I've failed and others when I've succeeded in standing up for what's right). I honestly don't know what I'd say to a kid asking if they _have_ to stand up for someone else in those sorts of cases. I'd like them to, but I don't know if I can ask them to. Does that make sense?
love,
Onkteb

I Need A Drink! said...

This was an interesting topic Cory! It's funny with my kids, Matt (9, 3rd grade) notices differences and is really sensitive to them. If there is an african american student (not diverse here at all), he befriends them and really goes above and beyond to help that child feel included. Thinking it might be the age thing that he's noticing it more now. Piper on the other hand (6, kindergarten) sees no difference. If she likes you, she likes you and will be super loyal no matter what. Will and I had a deep discussion on which is better. Both are fitting for the age categories I suppose. My wish would be that Piper stays as she is and notices no difference but sadly that will change and I'm more sad for that than I am of her not believing in Santa or the Tooth Fairy, then there innocence is gone and they become aware, skeptical and jaded by society. So sad. It is good though to not forget the past and help them right the wrongs. Ok, i'm winded! Thanks for the great topic! And Addie is adorable!!

I Need A Drink! said...

oops, I spelled a *there* wrong! I meant their!!