Thursday, January 20, 2011

Morning ritual

When I leave in the morning to go to work, Muddy is here getting the kids ready to take Addie to school. Typically breakfast is being finished, teeth are getting brushed, etc. It's a little hectic.
I say my usual, "bye. I love you. Use your manners" to Ben and he says he loves me back. Then I head toward the back door and he usually rushes after me to give my legs a hug. Then I go out the back door and lock it behind me. I get about 10 steps away and I hear a knocking in the window and see Ben looking at me waving. Then we both sign I love you and he runs back to whatever he's doing and I head to my car.
This morning the same thing happened (a little like Groundhog Day), but this time as I looked at the window and cutie Ben is smiling back at me. We do the I love you sign and then I see him close his eyes, and start shaking his hand, then he throws a "scissors" from rock-paper-scissors and I realize he wants me to play too. So we both look at each other, he closes his eyes (which always makes me laugh), we each shake our fist three time and then throw scissors. Knowing that Ben will always throw scissors, no matter what and knowing that I had to eventually get to work to actually do stuff, I resorted the next round of fist shaking three times and then throwing out "paper." He got a huge grin on his face, promptly motioned to cut my paper and ran off.
It was a good way to leave for work.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

Cory, You need to submit this to Chicken Soup for the Soul books. Just too stinkin cute....

Love, Kimberly

Onkteb said...

Is he closing his eyes completely now? When I taught him to do Rock, Paper & Scissors he had...difficulties...not peaking!
love,
Onkteb

Ellen said...

What a fun morning ritual!!!