Monday, May 3, 2010

Ben's big surprise

Saturday marked the biggest surprise for Benjamin. We're talking as monumental as Addie getting surprised to see Annie-big. I have actually had the tickets since before Annie even happened! They had no clue where we were headed. After lots of guessing all they could figure out was it was something like going to a movie, because "you go inside and sit down." Little did they know....

Happily posing before it started.

Posing from the balcony looking down on the stage. They still weren't quite sure what it was based on the stage setup. I have a video I'll try to post later with the actual reaction.

There he was!! The actual Buddy Valastro, aka the Cake Boss from TLC! He was very family-friendly. He called people out from the audience to come on stage and learn how to decorate, etc. Very nice man, nice show. He answered questions from the audience. He seemed genuinely interested in helping people learn how to be better decorators and bakers.
We were up in the balcony and all of the audience people who got to go on stage with him were seated on the ground area. So Ben was mad he couldn't go decorate. I told him we'd go home and decorate our own cupcakes.
This is what we did yesterday.

I tried to make icing the exact colors that Buddy had, so they could try to replicate what he had the audience members do.

Talk about focus.

The finished goods. I'm working on making the rose, so disregard the variation in size. Addie did tell me though, "Those are best roses I've ever seen." So there. If you look directly in front of Ben, you can see two in a row of his. Impressive. The purple one with the yellow in the middle, third from the right in the row closest to you is one I made. Directly behind that is one that Addie made trying to replicate mine- she did pretty darn well, don't you think?
Overall it was really fun. I think we'll be making cupcakes every weekend. We're ready to start taking orders, so just let us know too ;)

1 comment:

Jeanna said...

Mighty fine job! I love that show