Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Student of the Week part 3

So last week was Addie's 2nd go round with Student of the Week. Wednesday she had an early dismissal because of the snow and then she was off on Thursday and Friday because of the snow. So in all honesty she didn't really get to relish in the moment of being SOTW. Sunday night I did make some brownies, for her to take to school on Monday to make up for her SOTW treat, which was supposed to be Friday. But then Monday she was home with Scarlett Fever so we ate the brownies ourselves. Then yesterday was another snow day, so I made brownies again last night for her to take in to school today.
She was very curious who the new SOTW would be. When she got into class, Ms Brown announced Addie was still SOTW! They all enjoyed their brownies.
The best part of Addie being SOTW today was what she told me when she came home. The SOTW gets to choose a friend each day to eat lunch with at the special SOTW table. Having joined Addie for this in the fall, it really isn't that exciting but there's some sort of prestige associated with it. Anyway, she had to choose her person for today and she chose Liam.
Now Liam is one of the two children who has not been SOTW yet, because let's just say that Liam has a hard time following the social cues of kindergarten behavior. I was surprised when she told me that Liam was her chosen friend, so I asked her why. Her answer, "because he's never been picked before." Could she be anymore of a social worker's daughter? She just made me so proud of being her mom when she said it. I did the same thing as a kid.

3 comments:

I Need A Drink! said...

LOVE this!!! AWESOME!!!

Onkteb said...

That's very neat that she thought about Liam's inclusion in such terms. Very abstract and empathetic thinking! I'm impressed.
Love,
Onkteb

ps: when I called the other day, Mom and Ben were watching a movie, and he was very annoyed that I was getting Mom to talk and thereby distracting him!

Jeanna said...

Addie is going to rule the world.