Thursday, August 26, 2010

Big day!

Today Addie goes to meet her kindergarten teacher, see her classroom, tour her school-- the whole shebang!! How is it possible that my baby girl is going to be a school-age child starting Monday? Where has the time gone? She is SO ready to be in school, will grow tremendously from peer-to-peer relationships, not to mention the education she'll receive. How is it possible though?
Part of my neurotic-mother-thinking (which I'm sure you're all shocked to see I have deeply hidden inside me) wants to write the teacher a note telling her about how lucky she is to have my sweet Addie in her class. I want to share with her all of the wonderful gifts that Addie brings with her, to make sure she understands what a star she is. Now the more realistic-mother side of me knows that every parent is supposed to believe in their child to the fullest degree possible and the teacher would probably balk at reading such a gloating note. I just want her to understand that I have high expectations of Addie's capabilities and she should treasure the fact that she gets to spend 8 hours a day molding my bright, wonderfully funny, caring daughter.
As I keep talking about school to Addie, I keep mentioning how her teacher is going to love her belly laugh, which just can't be contained. Her energy and spirit lights up every room Addie walks into and the observations about the way she sees and knows the world are tops. I'm so proud of the amazing 5 year old she is, and I give her credit for knowing who she is.
I loved school and loved knowing that teachers loved me. I hope Addie's teacher is that responsive and gives her the support that she needs to grow and learn to be the best she can be. I can't wait for the first reports home about how she corraled all of her classmates to sit down for story time, while Addie reads to them or how she befriended the shy child who didn't quite seem to fit in.
One final thought to leave you with on this momentous day. Last night after baths, I walked into my bedroom to find Addie sitting with Ben in her arms. He was saying, "but I'm going to miss you so much. I don't want you to go." And she was replying, "It's ok Ben, I'll always be here for you. I'll come home and teach you everything I learned."
And not that you ever doubted it, but I'll take many pictures from today and post them!

No comments: