Friday, July 2, 2010

Blutterfly whisperers

I have pictures to go along with this post, but they are not accessible to me at the moment and I don't want to forget any of this, so bear with me please.
All five blutterflies (as Addie pronounces it) are flying around the mesh garden now. We'll probably release them tomorrow or on the 4th of July.
Last night when I got home from work, Addie and Ben were playing outside and excitedly told me to come out back because there was a beautiful blutterfly out there. Indeed, perched on the deflated brightly colored water slide was a pretty butterfly. She seemed very comfortable just flittering about. I told Addie and Ben that if they sat still on the waterslide, maybe she would come near them. Off and on for 10 minutes or so they hopped as gently (ie, not) as possible on the heaps of vinyl, inching closer and closer to her. Eventually Ben stuck his hand out and she walked up to it! Another point she landed on Addie's back. Then she landed on Ben's shoulder. Every once in a while she would fly away, but came back quickly to the kids on the water slide.
As we were getting ready to leave soon, I told them to go inside and get thier bathing suits on, etc. Then I nonchalantly commented "She must know you guys have butterflies inside and take good care of them, that's why she's comfortable around you. You're butterfly whisperers." Addie listened to my assessment and as serious as possible said, "Well she probably went to high school with them when they were all caterpillars." So apparently the high school cliques of caterpillars are making a pact to come hang out at Nourie World once they've sprung from chrysalises.

1 comment:

Miss Nay said...

OMG NICE! Can't wait to see the photos...