Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thank you

It's amazing how the simple words "thank you" can make someone feel.  
I have been at Nemours since June.  I left my old comfortable forever job of eight years to come to Nemours.  It wasn't a tough decision to move on, as I felt the timing was just right and the pluses were numerous.  
After about two months of being in my job, I received a written note at home from my partner at work, who is a physician.  It was just a "I'm so glad you're working for us; you're doing a great job; I'm excited about all you have to offer" type note.  But in it she thanked me for all the things I've brought to the table.  When I opened that envelope, I got all emotional at just the simple gesture of writing a thank you note acknowledging my energy and work.  Never in my eight years at my old job did I ever receive something like that from a superior, let alone receive something at home via the US mail.
On Friday I arrived home to another Nemours envelope in my mailbox.  This time it's a thank you from the Social Work manager in my department.  She thanked me for two things in particular.  Again, I got emotional reading her handwritten note of gratitude.
I don't know how often people receive such thank you's. I know it's part of the management system to acknowledge people for doing "whatever it takes," and honestly I think it's a fantastic tool.
When I was in the Leadership Institute in the summer of 2007, we did a Leadership Inventory which was part self-assessment of our leadership styles and qualities and part assessment by our managers, direct reports and peers.  One of the areas I thought I was particularly strong on was Acknowledging Others.  It was one of few areas where I ranked myself higher than the other people did.  That was a wake up call for me.  Perhaps in my mind I acknowledged others' efforts, but didn't do it out loud or enough? Either way, I made a commitment to work on acknowledging others for their contributions from that point on.
The Nemours thank you notes is just an example of a really great way to acknowledge others and I wanted to acknowledge that.
Nemours is continually ranked high in the "Best Places in Health Care to Work" category nationally.  With strategies such as the thank you notes, I can see why.  Again, never before in eight years and then two within a seven month time period!? Amazing.

5 comments:

Jeanna said...

Amazing indeed. Very cool

I Need A Drink! said...

That is awesome Cory. Well deserved, but awesome. People don't do that anymore, and it's sad. It works wonders and makes productivity so much better...I know this because I practice it on Will! ;) Very cool place to work!

Ellen said...

This is incredible, Cory! I am so thrilled for you. I agree that a written note expressing thanks goes a very long way.

xoxo
H

Anonymous said...

As Cory's mom, I, too have received a hand-written "thank-you" from Nemours this week after my "help" at the Easter Egg Hunt last weekend. I have received little hand-written notes like this over the years, and have saved every single one. When I trip over one in my bedside table, it revisits a moment when I felt valued, and brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart. Hand-written notes are becoming extinct, but each old one in my possession is as valuable as any antique I might own.

GodwhatdoIget2donext? said...

Much deserved... Awesome stuff Cory Nourie!