Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Great-Grandmom has passed away

Great-Grandmom died yesterday at the age of 91 1/2 years. I am so happy that Addie and Ben got to know her and vice versa. Not many people get to meet and have a relationship with their great-grandparent.
Brian and I went to the hospice last week during a really rough night and while she was in and out of sleep, she kept asking to see pictures of "the little red head." She always loved Muddy's red hair and when Ben was born with red hair- well that just sent her over the moon.
Addie has always been all about loving on a relative. She hugged the woman before she really knew who she was etc. Ben used to be scared of her, since she was so little, but he warmed up to her.
The kids knew that Great-Grandmom was really old and not going to live much longer. When I told them last night that she has passed away, their immediate response was "I'm going to miss her" which was really sweet.
This morning Addie wrote about her in her journal for school. She wrote something like "yesterday I had an adult in my family pass away. She lived to be 91. I will miss her. She was a small measurement." She told me that she used two of her weekly "amazing" words-- adult and measurement. She said she meant that Great-Grandmom was short.
I'm putting together a photo collage of her over the years right now for the services which will be on Friday evening. It's nice to see pictures of her holding a brand new baby Addie, then see her at Addie's 1st birthday, at a visit when Ben was 4 months old, when Great-Grandmom turned 90, then a few months ago with the kids.
Years ago Brian and I realized we didn't know much about her life, so we went to her house and video recorded interviewed her so we learned more about her. Really glad we did that.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I am so sorry, Cory.