Monday, October 4, 2010

Car conversations

This weekend we were on the move, playing catch-up on lots of things. During our rides between errands, we had my latest mix cd playing, of course. One of the songs on there is "Home To You," which was Brian and my first dance song at our wedding. While listening to the words/singing along with it, Addie said to Ben, "Ben, when I go out on the playground and there's not too many kids for me to play with, I think of you, and how I get to come home to you after kindergarten." It was very sweet.
Then Addie asked for "number 7," since they have the order of songs memorized. "Number 1" is Dynamite, Ben's song aka "put my hands up in the air sometimes." Anyways, so Addie asks for "Number 7" and says when she says "Blip" that means to turn it up really loudly, because she wants Brian and I to listen to it. Now, mind you, we listen to the songs all of the time, so there's no parts we are not completely familiar with. "Number 7" is known to the greater world as "Just the Way You Are" by Bruno Mars. So we start listening and darned if she didn't say "Blip" just as the line is "but I think it's so sexy." And then she exclaims, "SEXY!!!AHAHAHWHAH." She's tickled pink because she has said "sexy" which we discussed a while ago is "a grown-up word, and not one that kids should say." But there it is, plain as day in the song that we are listening to, so she's beyond thrilled that she gets to sing along with it. She's said it fair-and-squarely. For what it's worth, "sexy" isn't the worst word she could say. I think it just sounds funny coming out of the mouth of a 5 year old. She doesn't understand what it means beyond "when someone thinks someone else is really attractive." So for me, it's just one of those times when she gets to break a rule while under our supervision, and not really be doing anything grossly wrong. Does that make any sense? As a former colleague of mine once told me, "kids need a chance to be naughty." She told her daughter from an early age that eating anything blue was naughty. So as her daughter got older and wasn't so afraid to spread her wings, she automatically gravitated towards blue candy, since it was the forbidden fruit. Addie's doing the same thing here, with the word sexy being in a song and therefore being able to sing along. It makes it even funnier to see how she put herself out there with what she was doing, talk about getting caught!! She wasn't even trying to be sneaky about it. By the way, I think that song has a very good message in the lyrics, and as Addie will tell you, "every teenage girl should listen to the words." She has no idea why, but knows I say that.

No comments: