Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Little love

I have many pictures to share from this weekend at Graham's birthday party, but will have to get to them later.
I wanted to share two little things about Addie.
1.) Yesterday while at work, I got the following email:
"I love you and you're really pretty and somedays I go on the naughty step and today I putted on "You're So Glad You're a Child Of Mine" and somebody sees the sun and I don't like that time and the rainbow--I didn't know what to see, I just saw a doggy rainbow. And please come home. I'm really sorry. Love, Addie"
She has learned how to access my itunes on my laptop, and frequently listens to "Child of Mine" by Carole King. I sang that song to her *every* night when she was a baby. She loves to listen to it now and think about me singing it to her. I love her title for it too. The rainbow speak was referring to us driving home over the weekend and I could see a rainbow. She couldn't see it. That night when she was trying to fall asleep and kept "seeing the bad bugs" I told her to close her eyes and see a rainbow. I asked if she could see it and she said yes. I didn't realize it was a doggy rainbow...
2.) Muddy pulled me aside last night to say that Addie had some realization breakthrough about aging. It all centers around the concept of "getting old." She doesn't want anyone to get old. She hasn't mentioned dying or death at all. But getting old is out of the question. She goes into immediate tears even saying "old." I don't know what brought it on, but something struck a nerve with her. All of you reading this will be glad to know she answered "No" to my asking, "Do you know anyone right now who is old?" Maybe she just wants to stay a kid forever?! Come to think of it, over the weekend I called her "my baby girl" and she was quick to say, "Mommy, it's May, I'm almost 4, I'm not your baby girl anymore." I think I replied something like "You'll always be my baby girl, even when I'm old and you have your own children..." Maybe that's where it came from? No matter what, she doesn't like the idea at all. It's hard to see your child sad over a concept that's so out of reach.

No comments: