Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Daycare the saga

Ok, long long long story short: we switched daycares on February 3rd.  On Feb 10th I was greeted by a nice woman outside of the new daycare saying that she is the new owner, that the current daycare is closing on the 13th and that the owners have notified no one, not parents nor staff. Stunned and shocked and desperate, I started planning where Addie and Ben would go for care.  I had it all figured out and ended up speaking with the new owner about her plans, etc.  She's doing renovations to the building (a good thing!) and will not be open until mid March.  The current owner denied all rumors of closing, even telling parents via the teachers on Thursday that all has been taken care of; there was a misunderstanding and all is well. On Friday morning I still wasn't satisfied with the lack of answers, so I called the company that owns the building to get the truth.  He called me back and explained that the current owner begged to stay open through Feb 20th so he could give his employees five days notice (nice, huh? No mention of notifying the parents, who PAY for him to operate his center).  The landlord agreed, after checking with the new owner.  So Friday afternoon I asked what the employees knew and they assured me that all was well and daycare was open as usual.  I had to break it to them gently.  Needless to say, the two teachers there were devastated.  Monday was President's Day, so they were closed as scheduled.  Yesterday a teacher met me at the door explaining that after business on Friday, they would be closed.  Because of the short notice, they're willing to give one week of free care at their other location which is about 30 miles south (ie not convenient, and seriously would anyone do business with this creep again?).   When I asked about their jobs, she said they have to find new ones.  When I went to the front of the building, the owner was there and I said how shocked I was, to which he replied, "We are too- we just got notice this morning."  So the man point blank lied to my face!!  Isn't that outrageous? I wanted to call him on it, but I wanted to make sure Addie and Ben weren't retaliated against while there the rest of the week. I'm drafting my letter to the newspaper now...

Some other things about this center that make me laugh:
  • Yesterday Addie informed me that she watched Horton Hears a Who at daycare, and when I went to pick them up, they were watching a movie.  They were watching Bedtime Stories, the Adam Sandler movie.  Um, I'm pretty sure it's out in theatres still, so that would make it a bootleg copy! Oh my God, my kids are watching illegal materials!
  • Unbeknownst to me, it's a "Christian academy."  The only way I know this is that Addie came home to tell me that before we eat, she needs to say her "thing."  I'm going to try to video tape it, so you get the full Addie effect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Cory! I had no idea you're going through that. Have you found a new daycare? That's really horrid they didn't give you or the teachers more notice!!!

I'd be so frustrated and overwhelmed with what to do! I hope you are OK!

Unknown said...

That is terrible Cory! I have heard of restaurants and even grocery stores doing that, but a daycare? There should be a law against it! I hope you are able to find something else. Lots of hugs!