Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The next day...

 So I might have two days combined in the pictures- you  know it's tough when days of Jamaican sun, sand and water start to look alike!  The morning after the wedding Ben woke up and said, "I'm not sniffly, but I feel like I've got an ear infection." His right ear was super sensitive to touch.  While at breakfast I decided to take him to the nurses station.  She checked him out and declared he indeed had an ear infection and she called the on-call physician.  We were told to come back at 11:00 when the doctor got there.  At 11:00 Brian and Ben went to the doctor and came back with an antibiotic and ear drops, plus a bill of $400! We have to submit it to our insurance company, and hope they reimburse it! The horrible news is that we were told Ben can't put his head under water the rest of the trip!!! Yay, that's easy to do in Jamaica when you're 5....  We even tried the $5 ear plugs in the gift shop, but they were for adult ears, so no go.
 There was more swimming in the Sea to be had.
 Such a nice breeze off the water 24/7.
 The water was so warm.
 We took PopPop and Keri out on the Hobis too.
 All aboard
 Fun times.
 Proud Mom moment, when the kids managed to hold their strawberry daiquiris above the water.
 And they have a few while at the beach.
 We took a break from the sun and went up to the outside bar and watched some of the Olympics. The kids were thrilled to find out that they had Chex Mix behind the counter, just like at home! Addie ordered her Ziggy Marley, the non-alcoholic son of Bob Marley. Ziggy has strawberry daiquiri, mango daiquiri and coconut daiquiri on top of each other.  Of course topped by a cherry. I can't even begin to tell you how many cherries Addie ate that trip!! Brian's got his Fuzzy Thing (which sounds really potentially weird, without some sort of comment in parenthesis following it! Am I right?!)
 Like a pro!
 My baby girl, sporting the new necklace that Ben picked out for her.
 Enthralled by the Olympics.
 Later that night we went outside for some more chess, and relaxing on the water's edge before having dinner at the Seaside Grill again.
 So cute
 Watching the sun set from my lounge chair.
 Tough life, right?
 Then I was getting all artsy with my pictures.
 So pretty and peaceful.
 There was an open-air market around the pool that night.  Addie found "the most beautiful shirt ever." MomMom walked her over and the woman said it costs $15.   She came back to Brian and us and we told her that she could spend $8 on it. She went back to the woman, who told her $12 was as low as she could go.  Brian went over with Addie and low and behold Addie got her shirt for $8.  There is little else that my husband enjoys more than bargaining with merchants for their goods.  He even got three carvings on behalf of Keri and Scott for Quinn's bedroom for a ridiculous price compared to what they initially said they cost. We were shocked to see people pay the first price stated for some of the stuff!  And yes, on Addie's new beautiful shirt- the flowers are stamped on and then the "artist" outlined the flowers in yellow puff paint. MAHVELOUS!
 The chess game went a long time.
 Then it was dark outside. I actually videotaped the sound of the waves crashing. So peaceful.
 We had dinner at Seaside Grill.  While we were having dinner, the pool area hosted the Caribbean Dance night.  They called people out of the audience and of course the kids had to volunteer. Then they needed some adults.  Of course I offered.  The man led each person in a routine, where the two women sit facing each other with these two wood poles.  They clack them back and forth to a rhythm  and the man showed each person what pattern they had to do. Addie and Ben had to put their right foot into the middle, then out to the side, then into the middle, etc, all while the poles are moving.  He showed all the kids their routines, which they all did to much fanfare. Then he started with the adults.  The ladies before me had to do slightly more difficult tasks like stepping left, then right, then middle, etc.  Then it was my turn....
 Yes, I had the luxury of having my routine have me on my feet and hands, with my body thrusting up and down between the moving poles below!!! I was crying from laughing so hard.
The night ended with the limbo man doing ridiculous tricks like this one. Unreal.

1 comment:

Djehuti said...

In the photo of Cory and Addie next to one another, their heads are almost the same size, and all of a sudden I had temporal vertigo - I could see Addie as a grown up! Whoa!
love,
Uncle Teb