Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cruise interruption for a Ben funny

Sorry to mess up the blog flow, but this was too precious to not write down or else I'll forget it.

Benjamin went into the bathroom this evening, while I was in the living room. He started doing his "Mommy, I'm scared" calling, which I'm trying to have him get over. But he kept saying it over and over and over again. I didn't respond. Ultimately he said, "aaaaahhhhhh" and then I heard, "Mommy, when I scream like that, you're supposed to come running!" So off the couch I went to save my poor son. He was standing in the bathroom with his pants pulled up. I said, "Ben, you screamed like something was wrong." He said, "I need help with my button." I said, "You were scared because you needed help with your button?" "No, I'm also scared of Cookie Monster stealing the Cookie Jar looking through the window." (This has been a long standing fear of his, long story, it doesn't make sense, but it's very real to him). So I said, "You know, I'm going to call Autumn and ask her if she is scared of Cookie Monster stealing the Cookie Jar." He said so eloquently, "Mommy. It was just a dream. A very powerful dream." Then he proceeds to explain that Cookie Monster can only walk on soft stuff, like carpet and grass. I pointed to the tile floor and said, "well, good because that means he can't come in here." Ben said, "but he can go on the towels" as he gestured to the hand towels. Remember everyone, it was a very powerful dream!

1 comment:

Onkteb said...

Last Thursday Ben and I had a very similar sort of conversation about what Cookie Monster can and cannot walk on, and when I pointed out that your house has hardwood floors, he was always able to find some sort of soft surface (even vertical ones!) on which said monster could get to him. I wasn't sure if I was exasperated or impressed, but it goes to show the degree to which a fear can be ingrained into one's consciousness.