Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wisdom beyond his years

This little boy may be a handful sometimes, but he's wise beyond his years in so many ways. The things he observes, processes and then explains are at times hysterical and at other times just so dead-on, it's frightening.
As the back to school push has happened, we received the Toys R Us catalog in the mail and Addie and Ben have spent hours flipping through the pages and circling the things that they need. Ben had seen a Mario Kart backpack that stopped his heart right then and there and it was clearly apparent that he needed that backpack. Addie, on the other hand, circled some Barbie princess backpack. Now Addie has enjoyed many a branded character in her six years, but Barbie just isn't one of them.
So on Friday morning as I was getting ready for work and explaining that this weekend we'd be going to get their backpacks, I told Addie I didn't think she should get the Barbie backpack. I may have even said that she couldn't get it. She sulked off, defeated.
Ben came up to me and we had this discussion:
Ben: Why did you have to say that?
Me: What?
B: That Addie couldn't get the Barbie backpack.
Me: Because she doesn't even like Barbie, Ben.
Ben: Mommy, why do you care? She's the one who is going to school. Not you. She should be able to pick it out.
Me: Is she sad?
Ben: She's really angry.
Me: Well, you bring up a good point. If she wants that backpack, she can get it.

And with that he ran to tell her the good news.
That conversation made me think about a lot of things. I'm one who preaches for others to pick their battles, because ultimately, does it really matter? Ben's logic was so mature and rational. Out of all of the things that I need to protect Addie from, whether she has a Barbie backpack or a Hello Kitty backpack isn't one of them.
So I told her why I didn't think Barbie was the one for her. I explained that I wanted her to make an informed choice and we talked about a menu having one choice and then seeing what someone else had and realizing that's really what you wanted. So we talked it out and all is right with the world.
It just so happens that when we got to Toys R Us yesterday, the store was out of both their choices. Addie ended up choosing a My Little Pony backpack (which I think definitely suits her better) and Ben was ok holding out for a Mario Kart one, which will be ordered online. All is right with the world.

1 comment:

Uncle Teb said...

The funny thing is, when I saw his picture, before I read the actual blog post, I thought "I can see 'grown-up Ben' in his features." It's the first time that I've had a visual glimmer of the adult he'll be someday, and when I read what he had said, I thought, "Well, there you are, kid." I'm very impressed.
love,
Uncle Teb