Sunday, April 10, 2011

Maturing

This afternoon Addie and I went out to run some errands. On our way home, I pulled into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot and got ready to take her inside for my evening pick me up. Just as I opened my door, I said to her, "do you want to go in by yourself and order my coffee?" I would've thought I just asked her if she'd like to sing on stage, she was so excited. We rehearsed my order a few times and ultimately I wrote it down on an old receipt. She headed inside the Dunkin Donuts and I sat in my car and watched with anticipation. She stood in line behind a woman and once the lady caught a glimpse of my big girl grinning from ear to ear, she looked at me and smiled. Addie proceeded to do a dance the entire time she was waiting, waving sporadically to me, and just jumping with eagerness until it was her time.
She walked to the counter, pulled out the receipt and read off the order. She gave the man behind the counter her money and I got to watched as she tried to corral a handful of dollars and change. Then the man behind the counter handed her a bag and she tried to manage that, the coffee, and the change and proceeded to drop the change on the floor. The woman (who let Addie go in front of her!) helped her with her change. I hopped out of the car, and helped her with the goods. She was beaming. She was so thrilled.
As we walked outside I asked, "how did it feel? do you feel so grown up now?" Addie looked at me with a sense of pride that's unparalleled and said, "I bet they thought I was a six year old! That's what six year olds do."
Oh and in the bag, the guy gave her a free donut-- not just a munchkin, but a whole donut!

3 comments:

Onkteb said...

I can't believe she's going to be six in a month. I laughed out loud imagining Addie juggling all the stuff in her hands, and am glad she got a donut for her work!
love,
Onkteb

LouLou said...

A great description of a great adventure! My favorite parts were Addie's extreme excitement at your suggestion that she order (many/most kids would not have had the courage) and her proud reaction that they "must have thought she was a six year old!" (especially when one knows that she almost IS a six year old!) Great stuff -- I could see it all without photos or videos! Thanks,Love,LouLou

Miss Nay said...

OMG! Gotta love DD coffee and donuts! Way to go Addie girl! miss you so much!