Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Speech therapy

Addie has her speech therapy evaluation tomorrow! We all know she's amazingly talented verbally, but her pronunciation of words involving the letter 'r' of which there are many is clearly not correct. She's excited to begin speech therapy and we're really playing it up to be fun and a cool thing to do. In fact, what makes it cooler, is "Mommy used to go to speech therapy when she was a little girl too. She couldn't say 'truck,' see? I can say 'truck'. Truck." I'm sure she'll do well and we'll have a clearly enunciating girl in no time flat.
To demonstrate just how cool it is, Ben has decided to start pronouncing "car" as "carl". He's curling his tongue up on any word that ends with 'r.' When I corrected him last night, he said, "I think I need to go to therapy too!" We'll have to find something special for him to do while Addie's at speech each time.
Her mispronunciation is cute now, but it's not cute as she gets older. Right now no one makes fun of her for it or makes her feel different because she's not saying the 'r' sound, but that will change one day and we'd rather nip it in the bud before that point.
Will keep my loyal blog readers posted on her progress, which should be swift I think.

No comments: