Wednesday, February 17, 2010

No therapy necessary

So apparently the 'r' sound doesn't become a consistently pronounced sound by the majority of kids until the age of 6. Not to say that there aren't a bunch of 3 year olds who say it clearly, because there are, but it's not an issue for a soft 'r' in articulation until a child is 6 years old and even then it's not really worrisome.
As the therapist told me, "language is not an issue for her." Really?!? I'm shocked.
I felt like a stage mom, b/c I said "my only concern is the r sound and she loves to perform and if she is singing something with the soft r..."
I feel good to know that it's not something to worry about yet. Hopefully she'll outgrow it. The only recommendation was to try to stretch out the r sounds in words, so "rrrrrrrrred" and "rrrrrrainbow" and "drrrrrrrraw."
We'll see how it goes. Just good to know no therapy is needed!

2 comments:

Brigitte said...

At least you haven't found any split ends on your little star:)
Terri

Ellen said...

Great news!