Friday, September 11, 2009

Reading

Again, no pictures. Bummer, right?
Addie knows her letter forwards and backwards. I'd even wage a bet that she has about 98% accuracy at all times. She's been interested in reading for a really long time. We go through spurts of her seeming to really get it, and sometimes she is like "what?"
Last night just she and I were awake and we were reading together. The page she was on was full of 3 letter and 4 letter words (the good kind.) I wish I had a video recording of her reading. She was doing so well with sounding out words and then realizing the whole word together. Then we got to the word 'wet.' Our conversation went like this:
Me: What letter is that?
Addie: W
M: right. What sound does it make?
Addie: duh-uble-ewe, duh-uble-ewe
I hope that reads the same as it sounded. She knows how we sound a word out, so she was sounding out W. Um, no, W makes the 'wa' sound.
Three steps forward, two steps back, right?

No comments: