Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Two stories of perception

Ok, first off, two blog posts in two days! Go me! :-)
I am loving the developmental stages my children are at. Besides being hysterically funny and creative, they're understanding of the world is so fun(ny) to watch develop. Here are two stories describing what I mean.
Yesterday Onkteb (who Addie and Ben have decided to nickname 'Tebby' for some reason now) took them to the DE Natural History Museum. When I got home from work I did my usual "what did you guys do today?" questioning. When I heard they went to the NHM, I said to Ben, "Did you see any dinosaurs?" He said, "no." I looked at TJ, who gave me the 'yes we did' look. So I asked again, "Did you see any dinosaurs?" Again, Ben said "no." TJ chimed in with "Ben, didn't we see the big dinosaur skeleton?" Ben looked unsure, so I rephrased it and asked, "Did you see big dinosaur bones?" Benjamin seemed shocked and said, "No, dinosaurs don't have bones. Bones are for doggies" and he proceeded to show me Biscuit the dog (the robot/lifelike dog Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Amanda gave them for Christmas) had a bone. Apparently Ben's definition of bone is only as in a milkbone dog treat. CUTE!
This one is a little long, but it's worth it: Just about every Sunday on our way to visit the grandparents we stop by Dunkin Donuts to get coffee and munchkins. It's our ritual. Addie usually goes in with Brian and the people who work there know her now. Well a couple weeks ago Brian went in by himself while I sat in the car with Addie and Ben. When he returned with our goodies, he also had this box set of Lord of the Rings collector's cards. I gave him the why-the-hell-would-you-spend-money-on-these? look. He explained the man behind the counter said, "These are for your daughter." So I opened the box up and distributed 8x10 pictures of the characters to Addie and Ben each. They were enthralled with each one, studying the costumes and all the details. Addie of course wanted to know a lot about each person. When it came to one of the characters (forgive me, Onkteb, for not knowing them) who had a bow and arrow, Addie asked what he was holding. I explained a bow and arrow. She wanted to know what it was for. I told her that he uses it to "get animals." She wanted to know what he did with the animals when he got them. I told her "he eats them." She about threw up in her carseat! She exclaimed, "Ewww, we don't eat aminals." (Note she pronounces it aMiNals.) I can only imagine how she's going to respond as a teenager to the bloodshed of eating chicken, beef, pork, etc. Little does she know that the chicken from her beloved chicken lo mein is really chicken.
Just funny how they pick up so much from the world around them, yet still have so much to learn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The character with the bow and arrow is named "Legolas" and was played by Orlando Bloom in the Peter Jackson films.

Also..."Tebby?" When did that start? After I left this evening?
love,
Onkteb

Ellen said...

I love reading about your kids, Cory. You guys do such a wonderful job with them. I just love how they see the world!

xoxo
H